Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pass the Weight-loss and Workout Plateau


   HAPPY NATIONAL SIBLINGS DAY

My big brother as a little boy
What a week. I admit, I cheated a bit. Our car broke down, so I spent a few days driving all over northern Utah to get it fixed. We ate out and I ate desserts because that's what you're supposed to do when you're stressed, right? After all, desserts spelled backwards is stressed. Just makes sense. JK we all know that's NOT what you're supposed to do. But, a big thanks to my big brother for taking his Thursday night and full day Friday to help me fix my car. He rocks. And because it is National Sibling Day, I will tell you about him and how awesome he is! Blows my mind he's still single. He's the greatest. He plays rugby for USU and is going to grad school this summer for accounting. He's been my best friend forever. Here he is... Let me know if you want to be hooked up with him ;) Thank goodness he doesn't read my blog posts! At least that I know of...

Little Lyssa :)
Why stop with my brother?! My sister's cute too, huh? She's the little one in the back. If you can't tell, the major winks are apparently a family thing we like to do? Boys, if there are any that read, she's
single too. Darn best sister ever. She keeps the peace in our house and is going to school to teach special ed, or something like unto it. She's funny, smart, and loves... puppies? I don't know, that's all that's coming to my mind. Rock on.



Enough of me trying to brag about my siblings. There's a real issue I'm writing about today...
Weight-loss and Workout Plateaus. They're the worst, right? We've all seen it at some point. You see awesome results from a diet or more exercise that you're doing, then, all of a sudden, it just stops. You're not alone. Here's why you see this sudden stop in progress and a few quick fixes to try.

WHY DOES IT HAPPEN:  

I feel like we can all agree that Jillian Michaels has a good grasp on what she's doing. From her workout videos to Biggest Loser, she's got the whole diet and fitness thing in control. She explains that when we diet and exercises we decrease calories and increase exercise (duh). Our body tries to conserve those calories for the energy it needs resulting in our metabolism slowing down. BUT she believes plateaus are a myth. Say you cut out soda or candy, whatever it may be, your body will eventually get used to not having it. "Focus on what really matters", she says, "how many calories your consuming and how many you're burning."

HOW TO MOVE PAST IT: Keep your body guessing. The best thing you can do to move past it is increase your calories for a two-three days. (Sounds weird, right?) Anywhere between 1,800 and 2,400 calories. Of course it should not all be candy and cake and sugar. But, cheat days ARE GOOD. Don't feel bad about cheating on your diet, but when your cheat day(s) is/are over, count your calories. Don't loosen up the rules just because you liked the taste of your dessert yesterday. You'll have another cheat day before you know it.  Be strict again, but don't go under 1,200 calories.
Shocking your body is what it needs to get out of that plateau. 

Changing up your exercises is a great idea too. If you run every day and use the same three machines to work out certain body parts, change it up. Try a "Pintrest exercise" with moves you've never tried before, pull up Zumba videos on youtube and dance, try out the machine you've always wanted to (can be a great excuse to talk to the cute girl/guy you've been wanting to!), what ever you do, don't do what you normally do :). Here are a few "Pinterest exercises" I've been trying. I throw on my Spice Girls Pandora station and make my workouts fun! The workouts are tough, which is good, because when they get easy you need to change them!
Click for Workout
Click for Workout
Click for Workout

No comments:

Post a Comment